At HealthDecisions.us, we are strongly committed to protecting your privacy. To serve as your licensed insurance agent, we will ask you to provide us with personal information about you. We use your personal information to help you find and, if you choose to do so, apply for health insurance and other products that may be of interest to you and your family. We may also collect personal information through our strategic partners such as Health Sherpa Inc. Throughout this policy, we refer to information that can identify you as a specific individual, such as your name, phone number, email address, Social Security number or credit card number, as "personal information".
We do not disclose your personal information to third parties, unless one of the following limited exceptions applies.
- Insurance Companies, Licensed Agents and Business Partners, HSA Trustees or Administrators, and Government-run Exchanges and Entities.
- If you submit an application for an insurance product offered by us, then we will disclose your personal information to your chosen insurance company to process your application. If you submit a request for information or an application for an insurance product offered through an insurance agent, agency or other business partner with whom we associate or contract, then we may disclose your personal information to that agent, agency or business partner to process your request for information or application or to otherwise provide you with information about insurance products (including contacting you by telephone, email, or otherwise to discuss insurance products in which you may be interested). If you complete an enrollment form for a health savings account ("HSA") offered through an authorized HSA trustee or administrator with whom we have associated, then we may disclose your personal information to that trustee or administrator to enroll you in an HSA. If you complete an application with us that is processed through a government-run exchange or other government-run entity, we will disclose your personal information to that government-run exchange or entity. Please be assured that these partners are only allowed to use your personal information to process your requested quote, application or enrollment form and are legally obligated to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Service Providers
- We may disclose your personal information to other companies that help us to process or service any application you begin, process or submit through us or to correspond with you. For example, we may provide your personal information to a service provider to verify the validity or credit limit of your credit card. Please be assured that the companies we hire to process or service your insurance application or correspond with you are not allowed to use your personal information for their own purposes and are contractually obligated to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Employers, Affinity Groups, and Benefits Administrators or Consultants
- If you were referred to us by, or use our website or call center in connection with, a current or former employer, affinity group, or other organization with which you may be affiliated (or a benefits administrator or consultant associated with such employer, group or organization), we may disclose your personal information to such employer, group, organization, administrator and/or consultant. For example, we may inform such employer, group, organization, administrator and/or consultant whether or not you have enrolled in a plan. Please be assured that these parties are only allowed to use your personal information as permitted by applicable law.
- Legal Obligations
- We may also disclose your personal information as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, or similar legal process. We may disclose or report your personal information when we believe, in good faith, that the disclosure is required or permitted under law, for example, to cooperate with regulators or law enforcement authorities, to resolve consumer disputes, to protect our rights, to protect your safety or the safety of others, to investigate fraud, or to otherwise respond to a government request.
- Business Transition
- If HealthDecisions.us is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
- Your Consent
- If you provide us an indication of your consent to disclose, share or use your personal information in connection with a third party, we may disclose, share or use your personal information in that manner. For example, if you opt in to our social media mailing lists and promotional updates, then we may disclose your relevant personal information to social media platforms where HealthDecisions.us has a corporate account for the purpose of adding you to our social media mailing and promotional update lists. Generally in such a situation, the social media platforms are not allowed to use your personal information for their own purposes unless you have a direct account on such social media platforms, in which case your personal information would be handled by the social media platforms in accordance with the social media platforms' privacy policies.
- Your Requests for Products
Outside of these exceptions, we will not sell, trade or share your personal information with third parties.
We collect personal information in the normal course of business in order to process your insurance application and to serve you better.
- Applying for Health Insurance and Other Products
- If you apply for a health insurance or other product through our website, we may ask you to provide us with personal information and/or health information relating to you and any family member who will be included on your application. This information will be used by your chosen insurance company, agent, HSA trustee or administrator, or government-run exchange or entity to process your application. Additionally, we may ask you to provide us with your credit card, bank information and social security number, which will be used by your chosen insurance company or HSA Trustee or Administrator to process your application or collect any fees associated with your application or insurance premiums upon approval of your application. If you apply through us for government health insurance subsidies or for health insurance sold through a government-run exchange, we will ask you for personal information, including financial, tax filing and household information, that we will pass on to government-run sites and entities responsible for processing such subsidies and applications.
- Providing you with a quote or processing your application
- We may use your personal information to get in touch with you when necessary to process your application or to provide you with a quote. For example, emails will be sent to you throughout the application process to inform you of the status of your application and to seek additional information that is requested as part of the application. We may also use phone numbers you provide to send you telephone or text messages about your application or account, and such messages may be automatically sent with an autodialer, an artificial or prerecorded voice, or other automation technology.
- Customer satisfaction, referrals and other products
- We may contact you to survey your satisfaction of our service, refer our products and services to other people, and/or to inform you of additional products and services.
- Collection and Use of 3rdparty Personal Information:
- You may also provide personal information about other people, such as their name, date of birth and gender. This information is only used for the sole purpose of completing your request or for whatever reason it may have been provided.
We gather anonymous information about you for our internal purposes, and we may share this anonymous information with third parties.
- As is true of most web sites, we may gather certain information automatically or systematically and store it in log files. Anonymous information is any information that does not personally identify you, including aggregate demographic information such as the number of visitors to our website from a particular state or browser information such as browser type, device type, geographic region, IP address, and other non-personally identifying information. We may combine this automatically or systematically collected data with other information we collect about you. We may do this to improve or optimize our services, marketing, analytics, site functionality, service offerings, or for other business needs.
- The strict restrictions we have in place for personal information do not necessarily apply to anonymous information. Because anonymous information is designed to not personally identify individuals, if we change the way we use your anonymous information after we have collected it, we will be unable to contact you to notify you of such change.
- We use anonymous information primarily for marketing purposes and to improve our websites and the services we offer you, and we may disclose anonymous information to third parties.
We will provide notice of changes in our personal information privacy practices.
- If we are going to use your personal information in a manner materially different from that stated at the time of collection, we will notify you via email (sent to the email address specified in your account) or by means of a notice on the website prior to the change becoming effective. You will have a choice as to whether or not we use your personal information in this different manner.
- If we make any material changes to our personal information privacy practices that do not affect the personal information already stored in our database, we will notify users of the change in the privacy portion of our website.
- We will not contact you regarding any change in use or disclosure of your anonymous information because anonymous information is designed to prevent us from being able to do so.
- You may opt out of receiving satisfaction surveys and/or information on additional products and services from us.
Additional Information About Privacy and Security at HealthDecisions.us
Please click on a topic below to get more information about privacy and security at HealthDecisions.us.
- Tracking technologies
- Browsers and Internet Security
- Security Risk of Using Non-Approved Automated Software Applications
Technologies such as: cookies, beacons, tags, clear gifs, tracking pixels and scripts are used by us and our business and marketing partners, affiliates, and/or analytics or service providers. These technologies are used in analyzing trends, administering this and other sites, tracking users' movements around this site and other sites, customizing content on this and other sites, and gathering information about our user base. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
Third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity use Local Storage Objects (LSOs) such as HTML 5 or Flash to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs. To manage Flash LSOs please click here: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html
Browsers and Internet Security
Any time you enter or provide personal information and sensitive information (such as credit card number and social security number) in our website, we encrypt it using Secure Socket Layer ("SSL") technology. SSL protects information as it crosses the Internet. To support this technology, you need an SSL-capable browser. HealthDecisions.us recommends using encryption at least as strong as the 128-bit encryption available in browsers such as recent versions of Microsoft's Internet Explorer or Google's Chrome browser. These browsers will activate SSL automatically whenever you begin shopping for a plan on our website and when you return to our website to complete an application.
In most browsers, you will see either a locked padlock or a key icon to indicate your session connection is taking place via a secure server. This icon indicates you are visiting a secure area within a website.
If you need a strong encryption browser, you can go to the Microsoft website or the Google website to download the latest Internet Explorer or Chrome browser. We do not recommend the use of beta browser versions.
No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Security Risk of Using Non-Approved Automated Software Applications
For security reasons to guard the safety of your data, access to this website is limited to SSL-capable browsers such as recent versions of Microsoft's Internet Explorer or Google's Chrome. Under no circumstance should you use any software, program, application or any other device to access or log-in to the HealthDecisions.us website, or to automate the process of obtaining, downloading, transferring or transmitting any content to or from our computer systems, website or proprietary software.
PO BOX 17041, Chapel Hill, NC 27516
HealthDecisions.us is committed to providing the actionable information and resources needed by consumers to make wise choices on their health insurance purchases. Using financial analysis techniques well established in the financial investment community, we provide a unique view of health plan value. This, coupled with a comprehensive and accurate provider network search capability, will make health plan decisions easier and more suitable.